Sunday, April 15, 2012

Why Does My Nose Feel Funny?

                                            Picture Source: Absolute Skin Care www.as-london.com/sense-of-well being


Today i woke from the lightest slumber with the feeling that I, the invincible, may be getting a cold. It's not hard to believe as I work with young children and am exposed to all types of illnesses.

However, I have not been able to exercise due to the recovery from my gallbladder surgery. Exercise is such a crucial part of my existence, it helps me feel sane and quite bad-ass. The roughest part about exercise is finding a gym or stretch of road where you can push yourself to the optimal level and not feel judged or pressured. I love to go to the gym, all of the cardio machines buzzing and the shiny metal of the weights all in a row. On the opposite hand, I hate going to the gym! As a female, I truly feel that at this day in age I have to dress up to go to the gym. The cutest pants ( that help hold in any imperfection), the tightest top (that boosts all of my femininity), and some sort of shirt that disguises my arms- which is one of my greatest insecurities. I wish I could be more like those women who claim that they go to the gym and don't care what they look like. Maybe that will come with age... I hope so. Having music blasting from my I-Pod helps. I am a character at heart, so if I throw on some high energy, powerful female music I tend to care a little less about who may be looking at me and what they might be thinking.

All of these worries disappear the minute I walk into my yoga studio. Yes, there are individuals who attend yoga who are there to prove to everyone what a great body they have and how flexible they are. However, I notice them less in an environment that encourages body and mind connection- like yoga. I have missed my hour of courage these past few weeks. I have missed the serenity tied to my child's pose, and the strength bonded to my crow. There is an inner pride that comes from finishing a class, inside of which you were certain completion was beyond grasp. Yoga does so much for one's mind, but I also believe that it helps prevent sickness. I prefer to take part in hot yoga, which detoxifies the body, as well as provides an excellent cardio workout. I also believe that being upside down helps bring our body chemistry back to homeostasis.


Moral of this blog, I have a cold and I am going to yoga! Maybe I can talk my boyfriend into going with me- he might miss the opportunity to catch my cold if he is too busy focusing on his downward facing dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment