Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Full-Time Life



I am going to start this post with the statement that this is not a unique story. The purpose of writing tonight is to  voice what it is like to work full time, go to school full time, have a relationship, friends and family. So many people that I know live life this way, and let me tell you first hand- IT IS OVERWHELMING. Waking up on a Monday I must be aware of the fact that I need to leave the house at 7 a.m. for work, return home at 4 p.m. turn around and head to school at 5 p.m. then return home around 8 p.m. in order to have dinner, talk with my boyfriend in order to keep a connection and hopefully exercise. By the time I lay down in bed at 11 p.m. I can't even allow my brain time to relax before I am mentally bracing myself to get up and do it all again on Tuesday. This is not to mention that I dance professionally with an all ladies ballroom dance troop, which requires practice twice a week, and my private lessons on top of that. On Sundays I like to pretend that I can just relax, quite every part of me that has been running a marathon during the week. However, it's hard to set down the drug of adrenaline and pressure that comes from going, going and going. 
    I am trying to find a way to balance everything, so that I do well instead of mediocre in life. It is difficult to be happy and healthy when you are so tired. However, with everyday- and practice- I'm getting better. It's important for all of us that are juggling a full time life to remember what is truly important to us, and put more energy into those qualities even when we are too tired to try. I was talking with my boyfriend the other day about priority puzzle pieces. I live my life with an adaptable slot in which I allow different priorities to fit in at any given time. When I am at work, the priority of serving my children the best I can is fit into the allocated position- all other priorities are set aside. When I am at school, the priority of focus and grades fit into the slot, and the priority of work is set aside. This visualization helps me live in the moment. I still struggle with this concept, put then I think of the piece of my life that I am allowing into the place of my focus and it really does help. However, sometimes the piece that is taking up space does not fulfill me. I have to take time to recognize why I am allowing any of my precious time to be taken up by anything that doesn't fulfill me- my basic needs, my dreams, goals- the deep down me. We all need to be able to re-assess our lives and be honest with the child still dreaming inside and make the decision whether or not to pursue certain activities, arguments or even thoughts. 
    Living a full-time life can be difficult and stressful, but if you are reading this make a goal with me for this week. Let's try to take five minutes before we go to bed and look honestly at all of our daily puzzle pieces, take a note of those that are "filling your bucket" and those that aren't. It doesn't mean we have to change anything right now, but at least we are taking a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment